Let’s set this shit straight, shall we?
Oxytocin is a chemical released in the brain that helps with emotional bonding and trust. It’s a hormone that makes people feel all lovey dovey. This hormone is released by males and females when you have an orgasm, touching, giving birth, breastfeeding, and other pleasurable activities (such as petting your dog, cuddling, hugging, masturbating, etc).
Oxytocin doesn’t connect you to someone forever. Hormones are an effect that linger for a little while (anything from a few hours to a few days) and then goes away until the next surge. A woman will not feel forever attached and “mentally messed up” for the rest of her life if she has sex with someone who she later splits with. What a pile of bullshit.
This post reinforces 2 myths:
MYTH: That women must “save” herself for “the one”
REALITY: If a woman wants to have sex with only 1 person in her lifetime, that’s her decision…and anybody who thinks it’s OK to scare her into that decision can seriously go fuck themselves.
MYTH: Men can’t feel emotionally connected to anyone until they have kids.
FACT: Men can connect emotionally just like women can and they experience oxytocin release as well. This myth also implies that if a woman wants to connect to her male partner, they must have kids to do so.
Further, oxytocin is not ”nature’s way” of telling us to only have sex with one person. In our primitive history, humans were rarely monogamous. In recent centuries, society has taken to forcing people (and apparently, scaring them) into only having sex with 1 person, but in reality, this almost never happens. The vast majority of people have sex with more than 1 person in their lifetime.
And guess what? None of us are “mentally messed up” because of it.
Guys, you should follow Laci Green. She’s an all-around great social issue goddess who is possibly the nicest person you can talk to :)
How do people not see how harmful it is to not only spread misinformation that women inextricably bond to everyone they have sex with, but men are incapable of bonding with ANYONE they have sex with? How do they think that’s conducive to the survival of the species at all?
- brother-prickle reblogged this from feministdisney
- spiritual-resonance likes this
- blacksantaa likes this
- i-smell-baby-wipes reblogged this from feministdisney
- somebadusername likes this
- dreary-ghost likes this
- stupid-soon reblogged this from lacigreen
- myheartismadeofstars reblogged this from lacigreen and added:
- xx-rapunzel-xx likes this
- micaelaaakim likes this
- katehlynn reblogged this from rayulfox
- that-asian-girl-thao reblogged this from lazyteengirl
- rayulfox reblogged this from lazyteengirl
- comicprodigy reblogged this from lazyteengirl
- cuteteenagegirl likes this
- s1uts likes this
- likeafireinthesun likes this
- lazyteengirl reblogged this from feministdisney
- fiitamae likes this
- gottasaythings reblogged this from lacigreen
- pastelity likes this
- ch0lera likes this
- letsbegolden likes this
- alone-and-underappreciated reblogged this from heartattacks-waitingtohappen
- cinnabonned likes this
- lovelieste likes this
- t0h0tf0ry0u likes this
- steph-ras reblogged this from k-eelz
- seejs likes this
- detox-ing likes this
- catchinguptoyou reblogged this from k-eelz
- weirderweirdest likes this
- yenyeni reblogged this from k-eelz
- yenyeni likes this
- heartattacks-waitingtohappen reblogged this from chr0-no
- your-inner-desire likes this
- staggarlee likes this
- moonlite-in-reverse reblogged this from k-eelz
- chr0-no reblogged this from blissfully-changed
- blissfully-changed reblogged this from k-eelz
- weekenda likes this
- chain-s likes this
- k-eelz reblogged this from lacigreen
- everythingg-i-left-unsaidd reblogged this from jazminsathug
- everythingg-i-left-unsaidd likes this
- pairofboobs likes this
- sosanadagrate likes this
- jazminsathug reblogged this from dopeassname
- jazminsathug likes this
- dawoniee reblogged this from moveahn